Bandarban is a beautiful place of the three Hill District of Bangladesh situated at South-Eastern Bangladesh and a part of Chittagong Division. It is the Headquarter of Bandarban District.
Bomang Chief Mr. U Chaw Pru is the Head of Bomang Circle. Under the Bomang Circle there are more that fifteen ethnic minorities living in the district beside the Bengalis including Marma, Mro, Murong, Bawm, Khyang, Tripura, Lushei, Khumi, Chak, Kuki, Chakma, Tanchangya, Riyang, Usui and Pankho.
In Marma community the most two favorite Festivals are: Raj Punnyah & Sangrai:
Raj Punnyah :It is ceremonial rite of paying tribute and taxes (khazna) to the king of Bohmang circle. At that time three days village fair occurs.
Sangrai: it also another festival of the Marma community. The three wards that is – Boisuk of Tripura Sangrai of Marma and Biju of Chakma known as- Boi-Sa-Bi. In 14th April, this celebration of the New Year falls around the same time as Bengali Naba Barsha. Apart from the songs and dances Sangrai is marked by the water festival, boat racing, local wrestling (boli khela) and magic charm competitions. Water festival is a game of splashing water from two sides of a marked arena by unmarried boys and girls on each other. Unmarried are also join separately.
There are many peaks in Bandarban district. The three highest peaks of Bangladesh – are Tahjindong (1280 meters), Mowdok Mual (1052 meters), and Keokradong (883 meters) – are located at Ruma side in Bandarban district,
There are so many lake around Bandarban,
- Raikhiang Lake, the highest lake in Bangladesh.
- Boga Lake (12000 ft), ☎ 12222. A beautiful lake surrounded by high hills and a small village just beside the lake.
- Shoilo Propat at Milanchari, 4 km from the town on the road to Thanchi.
- Prantik Lake, Jibannagar and Kyachlong Lake are some more places of interest.
Other Turist Spots are: Meghla, Nilachal, Nil Giri and Chimbuk Hill
Tribal people are also fallow Buddhism. In Bandarban the two largest temple Raj Vihar and Ujanipara Vihar (Khyanwa Kyangdagree & Khyanphya Kyang as marma language) is also a major place of interest.
Buddha Dhatu Jadi. Constructed in 2001, located at Balaghata, 4 km from the town, is one excellent place to visit locally known as ‘Swarna Mandir’. This Buddhist temple (‘Swarna Mandir’) is on the top of 60 meter hill, is made completely in the style of South-East Asia and houses a sacred relic and the second largest statue of Buddha in Bangladesh.
It is less possible to stay at one of the numerous government rest houses, specially in travel seasons. Well known and famous Rest House is Hill Top Rest House, Circuit House, Forest Department rest House, Roads and Highways Department Rest House and there are so many Public Resort in Bandarban City.
In Bandarban Town itself there are numerous inexpensive hotels. The most prominent are as follows:
- Night Heaven near Meghla.
- Hill Side Resort, Milonchari.,
- Holiday Inn, Near Meghla.,
- Hotel Four Star, Near DC office, VIP road.,
- Parjatan Motel, Near Meghla.,
- Bilkis Hotel, At the traffic ”Moor” junction.
- Jamal Boarding, between the Pouroshabha (municipality) and the Press Club.,
- Prue Abashika, Near the ”pouroshabha” (municipality) at Bandrban Bazaar.,
- Hotel Green Hill, at Press Club building,
- Hotel Hill Bird, Bandarban Bazaar.,
- Hotel Royal, At Marmabazaar.
- Paharikia Guest House, ChimbulkRoad, Hafez Ghona.,
- Purabi Hotel, near traffic ”Moor” junction,
There are three ways to go to Bandarban. The easiest is a direct bus ride from Dhaka which takes 6 hours. The few services available are Dolphin at Kalabagan, Unique service, Shyamoli Paribahan at Gabtali, Asad gate, Fakirerpul, Kamlapur, Saydabad and S Alam at Kamalapur. To Chittagong goes bus in every half hour Tk. 110/130. To Dhaka goes direct bus at 9:15am and 9:15pm Tk. 620
There are a few services available that offer a bus ride from Chittagong which takes 2 hours (the most available is Purbani/Purbani at Bahaddarhaat Bus Terminal). To reach Chittagong from Dhaka there are three options – taking a flight (Bangladesh Biman, United Airways, Regent Air, or Novo Air etc.), a bus ride (Sohag is undoubtedly the best service, available at Kalabagan and Mahakhali) or a train ride from Kamalapur (Turna Nishitha, Mahanagar Godhuli and Subarna).
Purbani Bus Srvice, Phone: 01820412800 (Chittagong), 0361-62508 (Bandarban)